Thursday, December 19, 2013

It's Christmas time..

It's my favorite part of the year "Christmas". Though I have been brought up in a Hindu household, we have always celebrated Christmas as my sister and I went to a Christian school, loved watching Christmas movies and loved christmas trees.

Ever since I moved away from home ( Chennai, India), I have started to remember the good times and things we used to do during various holidays. As a young kids my sister and I loved going to the Christmas bazaars in the city. Shooting ballons with pellet guns, playing silly santa games , eating plum cakes and setting up our christmas tree was some of the favorite things for me. But among all, I loved to watch the Christmas movies on star movies. Every december is when our school has half-yearly examinations, coming home after the exam around lunch, I would switch on the TV, get some food on my plate and I was hooked. I guess I used to enjoy watching these movies as most of them had images of snow, decorated christmas trees and santa claus. It never snows in my city and to watch all this made me feel magical.

I still believe Christmas is magical. As we grew older we stopped believing in Santa Claus. Stopped dreaming. I happened to see this video of an airline called West Jet how they gave all their customers on a flight what they wished for christmas. As I watched the video I thought to myself, what would I have asked for if they asked me what I wanted for Christmas. Would I be true to myself and tell them? Becoming an adult often times means losing the kid within you, You dont do silly things anymore, dont dream, dont do things spontaneously and the list is long.. One thing I want to revive or do consistently is DREAM. Dream about what I want to achieve, things I want to do, goals I want to accomplish. As a young child I had no problem doing this, I used to dream big without limits. These days logic gets to me and I start analysing and stop dreaming. This quote by Harriet Tubman sums it up beautifully, " Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience and the passion to reach for the stars and change the world."
This Christmas I wish for you all to be big dreamers. There is no greater joy than seeing your dreams come true.