Wednesday, January 01, 2014

2013 - The year that was..

As we (A&I) say goodbye to the year 2013, I am both happy and looking forward to the new year. I dont know what word would be apt and appropriate to describe 2013 . It has been a year of challenges, new responsibilities, breaking the jinx and dealing with rude surprises. Through the months I can see how circumstances have shaped us and where we stand right now (which is not bad actually).

On the bright side we bought a home together. At first, I was just excited about our new place but now I can really see and experience how a home can change your life for the better. I love the space in my new kitchen and it makes me want to cook and try new recipes more.

Family & friends visit, this year we had a lot of family and friends visit us. My mom, dad and sister were all here at different times of the year that made us feel good and not lonely. KC came to visit in February. We have also made some great friends this year, staying away from our family in India this is very important to us.

Oh yes, I almost forgot about this trip, We made a trip to Wallowa Lake in Oregon. The mountains are so beautiful they are called the Swiss Alps of Oregon.

I worked for the very first time in the US this year. In June, I worked as a Marketing and SEO Intern at OpenSesame in Portland. It was a different experience working for a startup and small firm. I enjoyed it. I broke the jinx of not finding work !!! And since I did well and achieved my targets through summer, they also rewarded me with a bonus, which came as a big surprise. Used it all to pay for some part of my student loan.

We made two big trips outside Oregon this year. The first one was to San Fran on July 4th, went to watch the fireworks, met some rude people on the streets, metup with an old school friend from Australia, went to Stanford ( made a vow to have more student debts in the future ;) ), ate some good indian food and came back to Oregon. The second one we went with Dimpu to Vegas, GC, and San Diego. It was a good trip thoroughly enjoyed it.

We did Thanksgiving for a second year in a row at Kevin-Olya's apartment. We are blessed to have such good friends like them.

This year I have also learnt a lot about my body. I am learning how to eat right, stay fit and really accept it for what it is.

I also organized three baby showers this year. Yes, three. It was a lot of hardwork but fun.

Highlights of the year:
* Made some great friends.
* Started my home baking business of cupcakes. I made at least $500 in sales this year.
* Got my first job in the US at OpenSesame.
* Bought our first home together.

2014, I hope to be
* a more mature person.
* cut others some slack.
* more responsible for things that i can do something about.
* learn to love my body more each day
* never regret a single decision
* give everything I do my best